Skip to main content

100 Favorite Albums of the 1990s: Part 1 of 10 (1990 - 1992)

The first few months of any given year often feel a little slow for new music to me, especially during a pandemic when album release cycles are out of whack, live venues are shuttered, and most normal social activity remains in stasis.  I haven't been to a live show in over a year.  Maybe that's why I've been feeling a little introspective and nostalgic lately, like Clark Griswold in National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation locked in the attic passing time by digging through old heirlooms and home movies.  For me it's thousands of albums accumulated over three decades and reacquainting myself with old favorites. 

I heard somewhere that most people don't explore new music too long past their teens.  Apparently their tastes calcify and the stuff they liked in high school or college is pretty much it, forever.  That hasn't been the case with me but it's probably true that the bulk of albums I cherish most are from the decade in which I spent the entirety of my teens - the 1990's.  These are the albums that sparked my love of music, shaped my tastes, and broadened my horizons.  They formed the connective tissue of my adolescence and fed directly into an obsessive hobby that eventually became a career in the music industry.

The first album I had, stolen from my mom's collection in 1986, was Lionel Ritchie's Dancing on the Ceiling.  It didn't leave my mono-speaker tape deck for years until 1989 when I spent my allowance on a copy of the Ghostbusters II soundtrack, featuring Bobby Brown, Doug E Fresh, and Run DMC.  I played that tape so incessantly on the family hi-fi that summer that my older cousin confiscated it when I wasn't looking.  I feared he'd thrown it out but he'd just hid it in the back of the refrigerator behind a six-pack of Old Style.  MC Hammer's Please Hammer Don't Hurt 'Em followed in 1990, then Too Legit to Quit in 1991.  I adored this stuff at the time - I could even do a pretty good "Hammer dance" - but something entirely different was around the corner.

I got my first stereo CD boombox for Christmas, 1991.  A Sony CFD-470.  I was thirteen and it felt like I'd graduated to the big kids club.  I was going to need some new CDs to celebrate.  My older brother, in college at the time, had a pretty sophisticated music collection already.  Given the chance, I'd peruse his stack of albums and take mental notes.  So, one day in the spring of 1992, I ventured to the local mall and bought my first batch of CDs - Kris Kross' Totally Krossed Out, Nirvana's Nevermind, and Red Hot Chili Peppers' Blood Sugar Sex Magik.  The first album was quickly forgotten but the latter two changed my outlook on music forever.         

This blog was originally intended to be a personal musical journal or diary of sorts.  A place where I could memorialize my thoughts on music, post album reviews and show reviews, then share with friends and family when they asked me "hey, what are you listening to these days?"  For a few years now though, it's been more of a "favorite albums" kind of thing - covering albums I'd enjoyed that same year.  It's not the most organic or spontaneous way to reflect on the music I enjoy, since I frequently "discover" or re-discover music from years or decades past, but that's the way it's been for efficiency's sake.  I'd always considered doing some retrospective albums lists for fun but haven't done so until now.

Behold, my "100 Favorite Albums of the 1990s"!

Unlike my usual favorite albums lists, which are strictly comprised of albums released in a single year ordered alphabetically, this list of a hundred albums will be broken into ten parts comprised of ten albums apiece ordered by release date.  Some parts might represent one year's worth of music, others might represent several years.  For example,  Part 1 incorporates ten albums released in a three year span, from 1990 to 1992.  I'll post new parts in the series over the coming weeks and months.  

The two main rules I have for this retrospective are the following:

First, I must have acquired the album in the year of its original release, inclusive of a retroactive four months into the previous year (corresponding with a fall school semester).  For example, I purchased Nirvana's Nevermind in 1992, the year after its initial release, but the album was released in September of 1991 (ie. within four months of '92) - so it goes on the list.  On the other hand, Smashing Pumpkins' Gish was also released in 1991 but I didn't pick it up until several years later - so it doesn't go on the list.  I have to bend this rule a bit in "Part 1" though since I acquired all these albums in 1992.  I only owned two 90's albums, on tape, prior to 1992.  Sorry MC Hammer, you're not going on this list.

Second, each album listed must have made a real impact on me in the timeframe of its initial release.  As with all my other favorite albums lists, this isn't an academic or critical retrospective of "important" or "must have" albums.  This is a personal favorites list.  There might be some stinkers included, some albums not considered "best" within an artist's repertoire, and some egregious omissions based on my first rule.  For example, though classic albums from artists like My Bloody Valentine, Nine Inch Nails, A Tribe Called Quest, and Wu-Tang Clan are indispensable to me now, they just weren't on may radar in the timeframe corresponding to the parameters I've made for myself here.  Them's the rules.  

Without further ado, before the bottom falls out from under me like Clark Griswold in the attic, here's Part 1.  

Enjoy!

- Will G

The Black Crowes:  Shake Your Money Maker  (2/13/90)


The Black Crowes' debut album Shake Your Money Maker wasn't their first I picked up, that'd be their sophomore LP from a couple years later, but I still enjoy both almost equally and certainly as much now as I did back then.  In those days I didn't have much context for, or cynicism about, the evolution of rock music so I didn't compare this band to their obvious retro influences like the Faces and the Rolling Stones.  The Black Crowes just sounded fun and unique considering the trends of the day.



Sonic Youth:  Goo  (6/26/90)


This was my first "difficult" album - one that immediately challenged my sensibilities.  Frequently abrasive, often tedious, mostly thrilling.  Three distinct vocalists raging in a squall of avant-garde noise.  My world revolved around two bands at the time - Red Hot Chili Peppers and Nirvana.  I'd heard somewhere that Sonic Youth helped guide Nirvana into the mainstream so I had to check them out.  I followed them with mixed enthusiasm until their demise in 2011, but Goo remains a classic to me.



Pearl Jam:  Ten  (8/27/91)


Pearl Jam's Ten came into my life not too long after Nirvana's Nevermind and, in my mind, it was the flip-side to the same coin.  I'd even heard there was rivalry between the two Seattle bands.  Though Nirvana arguably put the genre on the map, Pearl Jam were the embodiment of "grunge" - maybe to the point of parody.  The flannels, the Doc Martens, the tortured howling.  I didn't follow Pearl Jam too long after Ten but it was a main dish in my early 90's alternative rock diet and I still enjoy it today.
  


Nirvana:  Nevermind  (9/24/91)


I consider Nevermind to be my "big bang" album and possibly my favorite album of all time.  When I say "big bang" I mean that upon first listening to it my musical world blew up forever.  Immediately before Nevermind my go-to album was MC Hammer's Too Legit 2 Quit and not too long after it I was listening to stuff like Sonic Youth's Goo.  That's a pretty big leap in a short period of time.  This album held a pretty tight grip on my listening habits for many years and, to my ears, still hasn't lost its impact.



Prong:  Prove You Wrong  (9/24/91)



I picked this one up on recommendation from a friend at school after spitballing about what bands sounded like Helmet, another band I enjoyed at the time.  I didn't know much about metal or hard rock, in fact I was pretty intimidated by that stuff, but there was a growing "alternative" metal movement in the early 90's mixing elements of hardcore punk, alternative, and thrash that sounded pretty good to me.  Albums like Prove You Wrong helped pave the way for more recent crossover favorites like Power Trip.   



Red Hot Chili Peppers:  Blood Sugar Sex Magik  (9/24/91)


Next to Nevermind there was no other album in the early 90's as beloved to me as Red Hot Chili Peppers' breakout Blood Sugar Sex Magik.  Having come into alternative rock directly from the "new jack swing" of Top 40 pop radio, the Chili Peppers' brand of syncopated funk punk was the perfect bridge for me.  Realizing this was their fifth album, as they'd been active since the 80's, I took the opportunity to marinate in their back catalogue too.  RHCP were the first band I truly geeked out over.




U2:  Achtung Baby  (11/18/91)


I was aware of U2 since I was a kid but there was nothing particularly appealing or offensive about them to me one way or the other. They just, existed.  That's pretty much how I still feel about them today but for a time in the early 90's they tapped into the alternative rock zeitgeist and shared consistent play on MTV alongside Nirvana and Pearl Jam.  I started to see them in a different light and gave them a chance. I'm glad I did.  My first and only U2 album turned out to be pretty damn good.     



Live:  Mental Jewelry  (12/31/91)


I got this one on recommendation from an older cousin who was keen on introducing me to some sensible college-rock.  With its jangly guitars, funky bass, and catchy hooks, Live's Mental Jewelry quickly became a favorite.  However, soon enough, I sold my copy to a friend.  Live blew up a few years later but I'd already lost interest.  I recently went back to this one for the first time in decades and, despite its hokeyness and dated tropes, I'm surprised by how memorable and enjoyable it still is. 



Arrested Development:  3 Years, 5 Months And 2 Days In The Life Of...  (3/24/92)


Despite my exposure to, and affinity for, black American music at an early age this was my first proper hip-hop album.  Arrested Development are now widely considered a one-hit-wonder, based on their single "Tennessee", which is unfortunate considering how solid this LP really is.  Inventive production, socially conscious lyrics, tons of hooks.  They were a southern hip-hop outfit ahead of their time and though they succumbed to their own novelty, this album will always occupy a special place in my heart.     



Beastie Boys:  Check Your Head  (4/21/92)


The Beastie Boys were one of the first artists I felt some odd nostalgia and personal affinity for.  I remembered them from childhood and here they were again ushering the way forward.  With its kaleidoscopic mix of hip-hop, rock, jazz, funk, psychedelia, and sampladelia, Check Your Head became hugely influential to me and one of my favorite albums of all time.  If alternative rock dominated my life in the early 90's, the Beastie Boys' genre-defying aesthetic was a harbinger of things to come.



Check out Part 2 of 10 (1992 - 1993) here!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Albums 2022 - Top Ten

This year unfolded casually for me, musically speaking, with most of my favorite albums arriving during its latter months.  At its start 2022 showed no particular promise, no major albums on the horizon, and no favorite artists announcing elaborate album cycles and tours.  Years like this often prove to be the most musically rewarding as I get a chance to explore freely, spend time with artists and genres I'd previously neglected, and stumble serendipitously on new favorites.  The first half of the year I spent a great deal of time with an era of country music I'd only experienced begrudgingly and in meager doses the first time around - 80's and 90's country.  George Strait and Clint Black became new favorites.  Even Garth Brooks earned my respect - based on a front-row stadium concert experience this summer that I consider among the best of my life so far.  Brooks' charm and energy fall somewhere between that of a preacher and a pro-wrestler, and the songs ain'

Albums 2022 - Runners Up & Honorable Mention

These are my runners up and honorable mention albums of 2022, in alphabetical order by artist name . . . . Arctic Monkeys:   The Car   (Domino - 10/21/22)       Ellis Bullard:   Piss-Hot Freightlinin' Country Music     (Mostly Sober - 4/29/22)   Charley Crockett:   Lil' G.L. Presents Jukebox Charley     (Son of Davy - 4/22/22)   Charley Crockett:   The Man From Waco     (Son of Davy - 9/9/22)   Matt Daniel:   All I'll Ever Need     (KWS - 2/11/22)     Fracture & Sam Binga:   Omura     (Astrophonica - 4/22/22) Ghost:   Impera     (Loma Vista - 3/11/22) Harmony:   Resurgence Episode II     (Deep Jungle - 2/2/22) Aaron McDonnell:   Too Many Days Like Saturday Night   (Aaron McDonnell - 2/4/22) Nine Windows:   Kid Drama & DJ Trace Present:

Albums 2023 - Top Ten

Another year done and gone, and what a great year for music.  These are my top ten favorite albums of 2023, in alphabetical order by artist name . . . . Baroness:   Stone     (Abraxan Hymns - 9/15/23) Not so long prior to 2015’s   Purple , Baroness’ excellent fourth album in a color-coded series that concluded this year, their tour bus flipped in Bath, England, resulting in both shattered bones and band lineup.     Founder and frontman John Baizley remains as the sole original member of this Savannah, GA, sludge and progressive metal group.     2017’s   Gold & Grey   introduced fans to axe-shredder extraordinaire Gina Gleason, cementing a new and now consistent dynamic that pays dividends on Baroness’ latest LP,   Stone .     As its title implies, this one is rock solid with drums and bass locked in propulsive motorik tempo, Gleason’s soaring six-string leads, and Baizley’s bellowing howl rounding out